Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Banana Cake With Chocolate Frosting




Banana and chocolate for me, is a match made in heaven. The flavors alone are wonderful... together they make my mouth do a happy dance.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
I made the banana cake recipe from Allrecipes.com , and the chocolate frosting came from Hershey Chocolate.
I made this for our weekly family dinner. As I stood watching my brothers, their wives and my mom take their first bites of the cake, I asked if they liked it? With their mouths full, nodding their heads with mmmmm hhmmmmms they gave it a thumbs up. This is indeed an A Number 1 Banana Cake. So, what did they think of the frosting ? They couldn't believe how smooth and soft it was. Thank you, Hershey Chocolate, for another great recipe! This one came off the back of the cocoa can. The butter for the frosting is melted before adding the dry ingredients, which made for a wonderful frosting, I'll be using it again.
As I said, chocolate and banana are a match made in heaven, and these two recipes together are perfect!




Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

A Number 1 Banana Cake
Allrecipes.com
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.


"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Hershey Chocolate

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Photobucket

29 comments:

Dewi said...

The most beautiful banana cake I've seen ! Affogato is my favorite of course :)

Marie Rayner said...

Oh my, it all looks so good Bunny! I don't know where to start, but I think I'll begin with the Banana cake. Best looking banana cake I've ever seen! xxoo

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Where do I begin is the question ladies.

Irina@PastryPal said...

Such a varied assortment of goodies. That affogato is beyond sinful. Gimmee.

the country cook said...

That pumpkin bread sounds divine...best of all worlds!

Barbara Bakes said...

Lots of great fall treats. I've heard so many rave reviews of the Perfectly Chocolate Frosting. I need to give it a try.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Okay, being the banana lover that I am I struggled getting past the banana cake though no chocolate on it next time, 'kay!? :)
~ingrid

Karen said...

Everything looks wonderful. I'd love to have an affogato right now! Love the Linky tool - I added mine :)

grace said...

look at that thick chocolate frosting! speaking of frosting, would it be so wrong to slather some cream cheese frosting on the pumpkin bread? would it? :)

Monica H said...

I always appreciate the recipes you guys come up with but Carol, you are channeling me with this bread.

I love pumpkin bread. I love zucchini bread and I love cinnamon chips. this bread has my name written ALL over it!

Debbie said...

It all looks so delicious and I just adore banana bread. I've made that frosting before and think it's a great idea to add it to the banana bread. I had never thought of that!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Carol you are as busy as ever! I've never heard of Affogato before but I just printed off your recipe. It looks wonderful.

Thank-you for all the comments on my blog. That was really nice of you.

Laura

Eliana said...

Bunny - your cake looks outstanding! I literally want to eat a huge hunk of it right off the screen.

Donna-FFW said...

HOw Ive missed reading your posts.. always something to print out.. like this chocolate frosted banana cake, I am all over it girl!

Ivy said...

Just what I need, a recipe that uses up my three really ripe bananas. That chocolate frosting looks A-mazing!

Melissa said...

Now that is a cool tool! I love banana cake!

Unknown said...

Can you tell me why I never thought to pair my banana bread with chocolate before. Wow that looks good.

Katy ~ said...

It's 5:24 a.m., I am drooling here, and my stomach is GROWLING!!! I think I've woken up the cats!

Anonymous said...

I am so mmmmm hmmming over your banana cake too! thanks for sharing the wonderful treats!

Barbie Morrisey said...

I made the banana cake for a little get together on sunday and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing, Ive also posted it on my blog. I have to tell you I really love your site!! I have so many recipes bookmarked! I cannot wait to make more!
http://morriseymakesstuff.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-bananas-banana-cake-with-chocolate.html

Kristen said...

It all looks so good, I just want to taste test it all

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Oh how I love banana cake. Oh how I love banana anything! That frosting brought back memories. I used to make that often when I was younger and first learning to bake cakes. Looking at that photo I would say I need to revisit!

Jaime said...

mmm what lovely bread!

i've missed your blog! i have little time now to visit blogs :( but i'm glad you stopped by mine to say hi!

Joyti said...

Everything looks incredibly delicious...but I have thing for the banana chocolate-frosted cake. How utterly scrumptious!

Aaron said...

Loved this recipe, and will add it to my "Best macadamia Nut Recipes" blog over at Squidoo! I Used fresh Hawaii macadamia nuts for this recipe. I get mine from www.maunakeagold.com. In my opinion, Hawaii produces the best Mac Nuts!

Anonymous said...

Hummm....looks like delicious!

tracie c. said...

you have such wonderful recipes!

i moved to europe 5 yrs ago and somewhere along the way all my family recipes disappeared, i really have no idea where they have gone but it has broke my heart!

little by little i have been trying to find those old fashioned favorites, sometimes through tears and so much frustration.

your banana cake with chocolate frosting nailed the banana cake i always asked for on my birthday growing up.

thanks so much! tracie

Bunny said...

Tracie, oh you brought tears to my eyes! How very frustrating for you to loose all those wonderful recipes! I'm so happy i could at least give you one back! You are so welcome sweetie!!

tracie c. said...

mary, i am so thankfully i found you through pinterest and follow your food boards so little by little my new recipe files are being replaced! it's been such a trial and error process with trying to find good recipes and then trying to perfect them as i deal with european flours and ingredients for american recipes. getting there though.
:)